Space Max disks replacement

Space Max disks replacement

Postby ManuFromParis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:56 am

Helo,

I've been using this Space Max 2x 1To for almost 12 years, mostly as a Raid-1 volume to store pictures files, documents and some other media files. So not as a frequently accessed volume.

Recently one of the disks failed and fortunately I succeeded to boot on the remaining disk (with red flashing) and I am currently in the process of saving all data on an external USB.

I am now considering several options :
1- replacing disks, same size or larger ones
2- throw away this aging device and purchase a new NAS Raid-1 device with larger capacity

What would you guys do ?
depends on your budget, buying a newer one may be the best option certainly if you eant to stick to lacie firmware.

The cost of a similar NAS hardware on top of 2 new disks would not be that much more, if that would reduce the risk to loose some data or spend unnecessary IT time on hazardous hardware manipulations and file transferts.

If I would choose the first option though, I assume there would be several scenarios. The one that makes the best sense to me would be :
a. Replace the failed disk with a 1To compatible disk (which ref would that be ?)
b. Rebuilt the raid-1
c. Replace the other disk
d. Rebuilt the raid-1 again

Would that work ? If yes, would there be some critical steps that I shall not miss ?
yes that would work

I understand I could fit larger 2To disks (or more ?), that I would be happy to use, but I wonder if the previous procedure could work, with a limited 1To partition at first, and then expanding the partitions after both disks would have been replaced and Raid-1 reinstalled. Would the LaCie firmware work with such partition modifications ?
I don't know if the lacie firmware supports expanding raid and if it supports disk lager then 2 TB. The kernel they use must be able to read disk with gpt partition tables

As the data have been saved on an external USB drive, keeping the data on the current NAS is not mandatory, the new disks could be formated and the data copied after the new setup is completed. So if there is a procedure to replace disks with 2 To step-by-step, keeping the current firmware, I would likely choose that scenario.

I understand the alternative firmware promoted by the website could be an option but I don't own a Windows computer, only a Mac.
I am a bit familiar with linux commands but I'd rather not spend some time researching DIY complicated procedures, if they would be needed.

Would there be a better an easier procedure to replace disks with 2 To (or larger) new disks ?.
if you are not able to use fvdw-sl console on a wibdows pc to install our firmware then there is no other easy way afaik
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: Space Max disks replacement

Postby ManuFromParis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:57 am

It looks like the 1TB disks could be the Samsung HD103SI 1TB 5400RPM (I haven't open the lid yet, found that ref on another board)

A 2TB version exists : Samsung HD204UI 2TB 5400RPM, would these work if I replace both disks and restore the firmware to factory settings ?
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:19 pm

I have put some answers in your post

Note. You copied your data, but to use the nas also the lacie firmware must be installed on the new disks. So taking out the old disk and putting two new ones won't work. Installing lacie firmware on a new disk is not easy. Your idea to swap the disks one by one and expand the raid might be the only way assuming lacie firmware supports expanding
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby ManuFromParis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:47 pm

fvdw wrote:I have put some answers in your post

Note. You copied your data, but to use the nas also the lacie firmware must be installed on the new disks. So taking out the old disk and putting two new ones won't work. Installing lacie firmware on a new disk is not easy. Your idea to swap the disks one by one and expand the raid might be the only way assuming lacie firmware supports expanding

Thanks for your help.

I guess that's worth a try.
Worst case scenario is I purchase 2x 2TB disks and if it doesn't work I replace the NAS Device with a more up-to-date unit.

Another question : would SSD disks work instead of regular 5400RPM SATA disks ? Prices are now almost the same.
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ManuFromParis » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:50 pm

This post tells how to clone a LaCie Network Space disk on a larger disk, then how to expand the data partition.
I likely would have gone this way, have I had a stand-alone computer to plug both disks.

http://crecimiento-sostenible.blogspot. ... k.html?m=1

In case this post disappear in the future, here is a copy/paste of the text :

Changing the hard drive of a Lacie Network Space 2

A couple of years ago I bought this super NAS (Network Storage) Lacie with Linux operating system, good performance and very low power consumption (you can set it to shut off at 20 min. without use, very convenient for longer life of your hard drive).

The disc It had got too small, so using Clonezilla, I opened the box (to do only handle in the area led out all the cover up), and I cloned the 1TB disk to another larger than 2 TB. To exploit its full capacity, we have to resize the XFS partition data to use all the free space remaining with the Gparted (free Linux program).

The Gparted allows us to do all sorts of operations on partitions (image of their web)

Both programs have included the Linux "Parted Magic" environment within the Utility CDof free software for maintenance and repair "Hiren", which can dump to a bootable USB in minutes with any of the utilities available on the Internet .

If you broke the hard drive of your Network Space 2, no problem, I made a Clonezilla image of it (how many times I have been helped by good people over the Internet, these are my "two cents"): here you can download it, you just have to remove the folder and tell Clonezilla to copy the partition configuration to a new SATA hard disk, you can use HD from 1TB and over (adapting the XFS partition as mentioned).

Last edited by ManuFromParis on Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ManuFromParis » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:04 am

About my initial questions, I eventually decided to purchase a single Samsung 1TB disk to restore the raid-1 unit, and use it as a remotely accessed backup (at my workshop) for important data and pictures, while my home NAS function will be performed on a new up to date NAS device, with faster and larger disks, which supports such disk reset, clone and expand procedures, in an easy way AND with a proper documention. So I will look for such a device. If anyone knows a decent model, please feel free to post suggestions.

That said, the idea of this guy to create a ghost image of a LaCie disk could lead to a data-bank with various models’ ghost images, to help people in the future.

If I had an easy way to do it from my MacBook Air with an USB SATA BOX, I’d be happy to help cloning a reseted-to-factory Network Space Max disk, as it will be one of the steps during my Raid-1 restoration process. If anyone knows how to do this and/or need such a Ghost Image, let me know.
Last edited by ManuFromParis on Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ManuFromParis » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:30 am

PS: I just paypaled 10€ to help maintaining this board alive.
:-)
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby ManuFromParis » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:41 pm

Update : I just installed the new replacement disk (Samsung HD103SI 1TB 5400RPM I got from Amazon) and I managed to "replace" the missing disk in the Raid-1 configuration without loosing my data.

Important notice : the current manual does not show the exact options I had to choose from in the Dashboard "Raid Management" utility !

It showed the Disk 2 labeled "New" in gray, while the Disk 1 appeared blue as usual but at that step the manual says that you need to click on the upper button "Manage" to access the screen where you choose "Without Data Loss - Raid 1" option, as described in the manuals, which should then lead to the resynchronisation. But when I went this way, the ""Without Data Loss" option was empty so I was left to choose "With Data Loss - Raid 1" which was not a good surprise, even though my data have been saved on a standalone USB drive.

So I went back to the main screen with the blue and gray disks and I noticed there was a "Replace" button under the gray disk, a button that IS NOT documented in the current on-line manual, which basically meant "to maintain your current Raid-1 configuration without data loss, you need to replace the 2nd logic disk with this brand new disk that is accessible in slot 2" (it makes sense when you think about it) so I clicked on that button and suddenly he was happy and asked me if I wanted to "perform the synchronisation" (don't remember the exact message) which looked much more like what I needed, and after a confirmation he started the synchronisation (likely the format and clone, or a linux ghost copy of some sort)

Meaning :
1. the process differs from the documentation but eventually it likely is the same.
2. as we assumed, I could perform this procedure a second time with a new disk instead of the 12years old Disk-1.
3. if I was able to move all my data away from this Space Max and reformat both disks, I could repeat the operation several times and then be able to create any number of independent bundles "disk+firmware", in order to reboot a failed Space Max for instance, or even a Space 2 as I assume the firmware is likely the same, or very similar.
ManuFromParis
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version