Postby Jocko » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:18 am

:dry
Can you check what are the permissions on the folder public of your remote nas
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Re: Remote folder shared normally

Postby mdi » Fri May 06, 2022 9:22 am

It's a public share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri May 06, 2022 9:37 am

Hi

Thank you but my question was not at the level of samba permissions. I want to check what are the linux permissions on the folder of the share.

So do
Code: Select all
ls -ald /share/1000/public
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby mdi » Fri May 06, 2022 1:11 pm

Not sure I'm following. The Seagate NAS, the one I want to access through my NWSP2, has no terminal access via SSH. So I'm not able to directly check its folder permission.

Instead, the mounted share on my NWSP2, pointing to the Seagate NAS, is the following:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     0 2000-03-02 15:04 192.168.xxx.yyy-smb-public

If I try to change them to 777 (using the root user), they are not changed, even if 'chmod' doesn't return an error.

Does this answer your question?
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri May 06, 2022 1:48 pm

mdi wrote:he Seagate NAS, the one I want to access through my NWSP2, has no terminal access via SSH. So I'm not able to directly check its folder permission.
:scratch it is what I want to check.

So I want to examine the current permissions of the folder "public" on your seagate nas because you may have this behaviour :
Currently I have an old firmware image on /dev/sdb1 where permissions are 755 at root. So if I create a mountpoint /mpt1 with permissions 777
root@Acrab:/ # mkdir /mpt1
root@Acrab:/ # chmod 777 /mpt1
root@Acrab:/ # ls -ald /mpt1
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 4096 2022-05-06 15:15 /mpt1
and I mount sdb1 on it
root@Acrab:/ # mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mpt1
drwxr-xr-x  20 root root 4096 2018-12-01 09:07 /mpt1
root@Acrab:/ # cd /mpt1
root@Acrab:/mpt1 # ls -ald .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root root 4096 2018-12-01 09:07 .
so the mountpoint has now the same permissions as the root folder of sdb1 (".") ! If I change it
root@Acrab:/mpt1 # chmod 777 .
before remounting it
root@Acrab:/mpt1 # chmod 777 .
root@Acrab:/mpt1 # ls -ald .
drwxrwxrwx  20 root root 4096 2018-12-01 09:07 .
root@Acrab:/mpt1 # cd /
root@Acrab:/ # mount -o remount /mpt1
drwxrwxrwx  20 root root 4096 2018-12-01 09:07 /mpt1
You can notice now the mountpoint has now permissions 777.

So I assume the folder public has permissions 755 on your seagate nas and when you mount it on nwsp2 only root user can get write permissions

There is a partial workaround but only one user account may get write permissions from nwsp2 on the remote public share. I assume user1 is an user which has a full access on 192.168.xxx.yyy-smb-public (see your additional smb.conf file). So run this command after mounting the remote share
chown user1 /direct-usb/192.168.xxx.yyy-smb-public
and if you use this account as samba account to get access on it from your laptop, you should have write permissions now :scratch .
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby mdi » Mon May 09, 2022 3:38 pm

Hi Jocko, I retried by setting the chmod 777 as well as chown on that mountpoint, but it doesn't change anything.
I mean that the permission and the ownership of the share are not affected by the chown or chmod commands. They output no error though, so it seems to complete their job without actually change the permission/ownership.
Never seen such a behavior....
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby mdi » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:07 am

Hi again.
I tried to mount it as NFS, but it cannot be mounted.

I guess that it depends on the fact that my share contains slashes (/DataVolume/public)?

On my nas I see this:

root@nas:/mnt # ls remote_share_mount_dir/
192.168.0.148-smb-data1  192.168.0.159-nfs-

Probably the NFS is the only way to have direct access to this NAS as windows refuses to connect to SMB v1.0 devices, even if this protocol version is enabled in the Windows functionalities.

But due to the issue above, the NFS share cannot be mounted as it is not created properly by the NWSP2.

On the other side, when trying to export the share via Samba, I can write normaly to the share from within the NAS via SSH. I can access the share, write to it, delete from it, etc.
I can also mount it remotely from windows, but in this case I have no write permissions, even if this is the samba config for this share:

[NAS-Seagate]
        comment = NAS-Seagate (BlackArmor 220)
        invalid users = dummy
        path = /share/1000/my.ip.addr.here-smb-public
        read only = No
        vfs objects = catia fruit streams_depot
        write list = root mdi hanna
        fruit:encoding = native
        fruit:locking = netatalk
        fruit:metadata = netatalk
        fruit:resource = file
        streams_depot:delete_lost = yes

So it seems to fully work internally, but not when accessed over Samba.
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:53 am

Hi

I think it is better to summarize some points.

* About remote NFS share, you can mount on your nwsp2 a remote NFS share only if on your seagate nas a NFS server is running on it and it allows rw accesses from your lacie (ip rules set in the export file used by the NFS server).
So I do not understand what you mean by
But due to the issue above, the NFS share cannot be mounted as it is not created properly by the NWSP2.

* about remote samba share, to get a rw accesses. Only by changing the owner on the mount point is the workaround to fix this issue (chown command)
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby mdi » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 am

Hi Jocko,
many thanks for considering again my case. Here below are my comments:

* About the NFS share: in the previous screen I posted, you can see that the Seagate NAS offers the internal NFS server as a service attached to a shared folder. For the specific folder, the NFS service, as well as Samba service, are both allowed, with public access and, in particular, the NFS service has write permissions (Full access). But the share that my NWSP2 tries to mount has a truncated filename: the NFS share is named "Datavolume/public" and I think that the NWSP2 cannot interpret the slashes in the filename, so it doesn't mount it. Its filename resulted in "192.168.0.159-nfs-", which seems incomplete.

* About the remote Samba share, nor chmod nor chown work after mounting the remote share. The commands are performed with no errors, but no permission or owner is changed on the share.
mdi
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 am

Hi mdi,

I understand more your issue about remote NFS share. Can you post this output, on a shell window on your lacie nas run this command
/usr/sbin/showmount --no-headers -e ip
where ip is the address of the seagate nas
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version