Thwarted in attempt to install fvdw-sl-console

Re: Thwarted in attempt to install fvdw-sl-console

Postby Jocko » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Fuddyduddy,

As it seems that you have issues with the fvdw-sl console. You can try the old procedure : http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=336 where you go to do the same thing but manually. :whistle

And after installing version 11.0, you must upgrade the firmware with version 15.3.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:04 pm

You could still use the fvdw-sl concole. If the backup of the lacie firmware fails you could also consider nto skip that step. there are plenty other resources to get it if you want it

and sorry to keep you waiting, I am currently quite busy at my work
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Fuddyduddy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:13 am

fvdw wrote:...and sorry to keep you waiting, I am currently quite busy at my work
fvdw

I fully understand, and appreciate your nonetheless finding the time to offer help :applause
Fuddyduddy
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Fuddyduddy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:16 am

Jocko wrote:...You can try the old procedure : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=336 where you go to do the same thing but manually.
Hi Jocko

I'll give that a try. Will report back in due course.

Thanks.
Fuddyduddy
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Fuddyduddy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 pm

@ Jocko

OK, now I've taken a look at the 2012 thread you linked to and have twigged that it pre-dates versions of the firmware which don't require removal of the HDD from the NS2's case (nor mandate the use of linux).

After recoiling :shock: I read right through the instructions and looked inside the install package, and it didn't seem as terrifying as I was expecting. I ought to be able to manage it but, knowing me, I'd be almost certain to screw it up or else - knowing my luck - fall foul of Murphy's Law (just as I already did when trying to use the latest install package). I'll keep it as a fall-back for now, I think.

Can you please point me to the - early - post(s) in which fvdw (I think) explained in some detail the sequence of steps to follow to remove the HDD from the case? (I tried a search but it came up with nothing useful). I'd be particularly reluctant to use brute-force to remove the rubber feet (mine seem to be attached with strong adhesive) and feel in dire need of expert guidance...

Meanwhile I have now realized that I was wrong to believe that my attempt to install release 15 last week had progressed to the point of removing the Lacie firmware. The screen-shot I attached a few posts back is identical in every respect to the response shown in the release 11 instructions to the fdisk p command before the existing (Lacie) partitions have been backed-up and deleted :!:

That being so, I must say that logically I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to force the NS2 to revert to normal, just as if I had never messed with it. Is there really no way of causing it to do this?
Last edited by Fuddyduddy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuddyduddy
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi fuddyduddy,

The post is on the network spave v1 forum : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=293. :shocked

That being so, I must say that logically I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to force the NS2 to revert to normal, just as if I had never messed with it. Is there really no way of causing it to do this?
You are right. if the LAcie partition table is still here then the NAS should start with the Lacie firmware: the install script removes the data only by deleting the partitions. So if the NAS doesn't start that means that some files were previously corrupted.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby Fuddyduddy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Jocko wrote:...if the LAcie partition table is still here then the NAS should start with the Lacie firmware: the install script removes the data only by deleting the partitions. So if the NAS doesn't start that means that some files were previously corrupted.
Corruption seems the only plausible explanation, as you say :cry:

When powered-up my NS2 does nothing except blink its blue led once/sec. Trying to open the Network Assistant dashboard (web interface) only produces a "Problem loading page" response.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Scanning laCie's User Manual I can't now find any reference to resetting to factory settings (though I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before). But anyway - if I didn't dream it - I'm sure it stipulated that one first had to have established contact with the NS2 via the web interface - and that's just what I can't do.

Any suggestions would be welcome. How does one restore backed-up laCie firmware, for example, if one can't get access to the NS2's HDD?
Fuddyduddy
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:05 pm

dear fuddyduddy

why not proceed with the fvdw-sl install ? You were almost there.

Once again use the fvdw-sl console and choose install firmware action and follow the instruction, when you start the fvdw-sl installer script answer "no" if it ask you to make a backup.
I have a backup if you would finally need it.

It is not difficult more then 1000 people succeeded

ps to open the nwsp it is easy. Do not remove the rubber feet.
Just put your finger nail between the casing and bottom at the front side (where the led is located) and pull the cover a little outside and then lift the cover up

or in other words
The black cover can be removed from the device. On the front side of the device (check the blue LED) the cover is locked with one tab in the middle. Carefully push away the middle of the cover and lift only the front side. When it comes off, shift it a little to the back and you can safely remove the whole cover.

ps please that the nwsp2 has a different cover mounting compared to nwsp1. The nwsp1 is much more difficult to open. Do not use the desciptions on the internet for nwsp1 on a nwsp2 to open the cover
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Fuddyduddy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:00 am

fvdw wrote:why not proceed with the fvdw-sl install ? You were almost there.

Once again use the fvdw-sl console and choose install firmware action and follow the instruction, when you start the fvdw-sl installer script answer "no" if it ask you to make a backup.
I have a backup if you would finally need it.
@ fvdw
Your counsel was, of course, wise :hail That makes it all the sadder to have to report that although it got me to almost the last stride I've fallen before breasting the finishing-tape
It is not difficult more then 1000 people succeeded
It seems I'm the 1001st, the one who hasn't :sob

Having completed the installation 100% I found that the NS2 would not respond either to
Code: Select all
reboot -f
or to pressing the power-button. So, clearly, something was not quite right. I resorted to first powering-off by pulling out the power-lead, then closing-down all windows related to fvdw-sl-console, then replacing the power-lead. I think that it began powering itself up (I can't recall that I pressed the power-button).

Anyway, I'm unable to open the network interface. I checked my router to see if it had allocated a different ip but it was unchanged from before. As well, an "un-named device" is listed with a '4' instead of '5', so I tried that - to no avail. I also tried 192.168.1.0. Likewise.

Furthermore, although the NS2's behaviour has changed in one respect - the blue LED no longer cycles continuously at one-second intervals - it still does not respond at all to the power-button.

So I have progressed this time to the point of successfully installing the fvdw firmware, but I'm still unable to get any access to the NS2
Do not use the desciptions on the internet for nwsp1 on a nwsp2 to open the cover
Noted.
Fuddyduddy
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:55 am

Hold confidence if the inslatt complete 100% it should be ok. To opne the web interface you need to know the ip addres of the nas.
You could also try http://fvdw-sl-base/ but that might fail because the workgroup you have set on your windows might be different from the default on the nas.

Does your router has a dhcp server running for assigning ip's ? Hopefully it does. If not you have to enable it.
A dhcp server assign's dynamic ip's to any device in the lan requesting one.
The standard fvdw-sl firmware use a dynamic IP address assigned by dhcp server. What you have set in the past as static ip address when using the Lacie firmware has no meaning anymore. (I told you that already once)
So the only thing left to do is finding out which ip the nas has gotten from your router.

To find it you could use the fvdw-sl assistant for that viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1488

PS the nswp2 should respond to the power button. But you have to use it as follow.
press it and keep it pressed for 1 second but no longer then 5 second and then release it will cause a reboot. press it en keep it pressed for more then 5 seconds will cause a power down.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version