be careful with taking out HDD PCB damages possible

be careful with taking out HDD PCB damages possible

Postby fvdw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I noticed that on the nwsp2 classic you can damage the PCB when sliding out the HDD. when it comes from the connector and is pulled backwards it touches the SMD components on the PCB board

Below a screenshot. I already lost two of them (red circles) but was able to solder them back. However that is not easy and risky, better prevent damage.

So when you take out the disk try to lift on the back and slide it backwards very carefully !
I always check for loose "particles" and damage afterwards.

pcb-nwsp2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Re: be careful with taking out HDD PCB damages possible

Postby firwareslut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up as this is good to know. I have taken my drive out a few times and would never have known to be so careful.
firwareslut
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby NasaMan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi fvdw sorry I could not find a way to ask you this via pm so I will write in this topic:
Thanks for the Windows program, I just installed Ubuntu on my Virtual Machine :D I want to try the "10 april 2013 release of fvdw-sl-console vs 3" Is it also possible when I still have the original firmware on my network space 2?
Thanks for your great work and Yes I will remember the Donate Button of course :)
NasaMan
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby fvdw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 pm

yes you can install the fvd-sl-firmware via the fvdw-sl-console when the original lacie firmware is present on it but it will overwrite the lacie software. It will ask you if you want to make backups of the lacie firmware. However I did not implement a procedure to put back the lacie firmware. On the internet there are several guides.

The fvdw-sl-console will upload a special kernel to the nwsp2 that runs fully from RAM, this enables us to repartition the hard disk and write disk images to it.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version