HOW-TO: Installing an Anti-Virus that also scans SMB shares?

HOW-TO: Installing an Anti-Virus that also scans SMB shares?

Postby raidsm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi!

Can someone explain to me how to install an anti-virus on the NAS? I know it's probably not a short easy answer but I'm a bit confused.

My goal is:

1- to LEARN how to manualy install sofware CLI style ;) and
2- scans for my SMB shares located in the network mounted on my NS2.

Wich linux is installed in the FVDW firmware? (some sort of a busybox?) (I upgraded the kernel to 4.6.6)
I think I need a software compiled to run on ARM chipset? (Kirkwood)
Is there an easy way to "get" (ie: get app command) other software? like an anti-virus. I know some distro uses some baked-in apps...

Thanks you very much! ;)
raidsm
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Re: HOW-TO: Installing an Anti-Virus that also scans SMB sha

Postby fvdw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 am

Hi raidsm,
About linux version, if you installed the 4.6.6 kernel than it is linux 4.6.6. you could say. However the kernel alone is not sufficient you need a bunch of programs and libraries to get a working linux environment(platform). Examples are Ubuntu, BSD, mint et etc. In fact also fvdw-sl is a linux platform. This makes it complicated to develop a new application because an application has in most cases several dependencies. Meaning it needs some other programs and libraries to be installed on the same machine. Furthermore these dependencies programs and libs must have the correct version number to be compatible with application source code. All this makes it in fact impossible to make an application that runs on all linux platforms by using only one single binary. For all platform compiling from source is required and compiling and installing all the dependencies as well. Also note that the sources must be compiled for the cpu in the nas (ARM5). So binaries compiled for Intel or AMD cpu and chipsets won't work. You must use a compiler that generates code for ARM cpus.
Remark. Applications that run under for example python are a different story, those could run on mutiple platforms providing the required version of python is installed on that platform. However many applicatiins are not availablevin python.

About antivirus, in fact it is on my wishlist as well but not for scanning other disks in the LAN, only on the nas itself. But what kept me to develop it is that the chance to get an operational virus in the nas operating system is low or zero as long as you do not download and install new applications.
The risk increases if you install new applications. Even if compiled by yourself as the source code that you compile may contain malicious code. Therefor I advise if you compile code yourself to use only source code from trusted sources used for applications installed by many other platform devellopers.

Using an application that scan network drives is another story.
Be aware it will consume resourses of your nas cpu and ram affecting performance of other applications and if you want to scan smb mounted folders it must be able to detect windows, apple and linux viruses and have read and write access to all files. Meaning it can do whatever it wants with the files. This creates a security risk as well if the anti virus program is infected
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby raidsm » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks four your reply it makes me understand a bit more. I didn't know virus scan on smb needed to have RW access to it but you have a point: only in rare case it would prove useful..

I sometime download with transmission and one of the goal was to be sure no virus is in the file.

Thanks for your good work and keep it up!
raidsm
Donator VIP
Donator VIP

Postby Jocko » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi raidsm,

If you read this article : https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-si ... -the-test/, you will learn the free linux anti-virus are not good...
raidsm wrote:I sometime download with transmission and one of the goal was to be sure no virus is in the file.

Anyhow you can scan your transmission share or a downloaded file from your laptop
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Return to Lacie Network Space vs2 and max version